Log in

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Sign in using your account with:
  • facebook

                                                                                     

A+ A A-

Anaphylactic shock

Anaphylactic shock is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can develop rapidly. It is also known as anaphylaxis.

Causes

Like in allergies, it occurs when the immune system mistakenly responds to a harmless substance as if it were a serious threat. The release of histamine and other chemicals is triggered which can cause a number of symptoms some of which can be life-threatening.

The most come triggers of anaphylactic shock are:

  • Insect stings, such as wasp and bee stings
  • Nuts
  • Types of foods, such as milk and seafood
  • Certain medications e.g. some types of antibiotics

Symptoms

Anaphylactic shock should always be treated as a medical emergency. If you suspect that you or your child is experiencing symptoms of anaphylictic shock, you should immediately go to a hospital or medical facility.

Anaphylactic shock can begin with severe itching of the eyes or face. This may usually be within minutes of exposure to the allergen. Eventually the following symptoms may begin to manifest;

  • Swelling of the throat, lips, and tongue
  • Difficulty breathing, caused by swelling of the throat and narrowing of the airways
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Lightheaded or faintness
  • Changes to skin, such as itchy skin or a raised, red skin rash
  • Swelling of certain body parts, particularly the face
  • Shock
  • Unconsciousness
  • Abdominal cramps and nausea
  • Increased heart rate
  • Drop in blood pressure

Prevention

If you know what has triggered anaphylactic shock, it is important to take steps to try to avoid further exposure to similar triggers.

However if the cause of the allergic reaction is not known, you should be referred to an allergy specialist where tests can be carried out to help identify possible triggers.

You can prevent allergies by reducing your child’s exposure to the most common allergens like dust, animal hair, pollen and mold.

If the cause of the allergic reaction is not known, you should be referred to a specialist allergy clinic where tests can be carried out to help identify possible triggers.

Follow us on Twitter

Follow Gidimoms on Twitter

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Follow us on Facebook

Visit the new site http://lbetting.co.uk/ for a ladbrokes review.

WHAT IS GIDIMOMS?

GidiMoms.com is Nigeria's no 1 website for parents and prospective parents. GidiMoms.com gives you loads of really great, helpful information such as: parenting, breastfeeding, pregnancy, family life, love and sex, health, ...Read More Click here

All contents copyright © GidiMoms.com All rights reserved.
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Terms of Use before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use.

This site is published by GidiMoms.com which is responsible for its contents as further described and qualified in the Terms of Use.

Website Designed by G2Web Nigeria

Copyright © GidiMoms.com